The studio is focusing on the Brooklyn Navy Yard (BNY), a 300-acre area on the Brooklyn waterfront right across from lower Manhattan. The history of the BNY,since its early beginnings as a shipbuilding facility for the US Navy in the early 1800s, has always been linked to New York’s economic development. Through periods of great prosperity and rapid decline, the Yard has always reinvented itself and has remained an area of significant importance for Brooklyn and the region.
Today, there are a number of plans and initiatives to transform the site in different ways. Under the Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation, it will become a model project of an innovation hub for new industry in New York City. This site has been supported by the current Mayor and other local political figures as one of the keystone elements for local and regional economic development and the testing and evaluation of new sustainable practices.
Advanced Studio; Brooklyn Navy Yard
Fall 2016 Events
- September 23, 4:00 PM SouthLight Opening Festival, 393 Broad Street. Providence, RI 02907
- October 13, 6:30 PM David Lewis, LTL Architects
- October 20, 6:30 PM Enrique Walker, Columbia University, GSAPP
- October 31, 6:30 PM Marie Law Adams & Dan Adams, Landing Studio
- November 14, 6:30 PM Joyce Hwang, Ants of the Prairie
- .@hansybetter+BR+A+CE create "Tilt-Down Fence" a public art exhibit in Fields Corner https://t.co/poFcZkjevt via @bostonherald,
- RT @risd: .@RISDARCH is working to complete SouthLight, a summer design-build project @SCCRI1 https://t.co/leEtHJwqA8 https://t.co/z1VkusjsuZ,
- RT @spfortunato: Planting in progress at Southside Cultural Center! @ProvidenceACT @LISCRhodeIsland @RISDARCH @RILatinoStories & more https://t.co/nx2euXEmAt,
- B.Arch alumnus @hamedbukhamseen on the Kuwaiti Contribution to the 2016 Venice Biennale https://t.co/J6W6oiZjVs,
- RT @kynaleski: 3six0 creates living annex for elderly in-laws at Rhode Island home https://t.co/c6UCwobznQ via @dezeen Great job 3six0 associate Jack Ryan!,
Featured on RISD.EDU
- Architects in the Sun ’16 read more...
- SouthLight Team Breaks Ground!!! read more...
- Exploring Sound + Space at the RISD Museum A hush falls over the audience seated in the center of the RISD Museum’s Grand Gallery as multimedia performance piece Galapagos in C gets underway. Two Architecture students silently enter as mimes, gaze at a large 18th-century family portrait by Jacques-Luc Barbier-Walbonne and then strike a pose mimicking the subjects in the painting. read more...
- Design Like a Girl “I hope that this class has encouraged students to be curious – to constantly question the built environment around them,” said Architecture grad student Rebecca McGee MArch 16 on Wednesday. As this year’s grad student faculty leader, she welcomed friends and family to a celebration of an ongoing partnership between RISD and Lincoln School, read more...
- Ideas Born on Paper Architecture Professor Christopher Bardt BArch 83 has a longstanding personal connection to the work included in Drawing Ambience: Alvin Boyarsky and the Architectural Association, an exhibition on view at the RISD Museum through August 2. Sharing his impressions while walking through the show, he stops at a delicate graphite, ink wash and colored pencil drawing by British architect Michael Webb... read more...