On Friday, September 23rd, our team of RISD Architecture & Landscape Students joined the community, Mayor Elorza, Senator Whitehouse, Councilman Aponte, along with SouthLight project partners for the opening of SouthLight!
This summer a team of 16 students and faculty (ARCH + LDAR) put their brains and muscles to the test, as they designed and built SouthLight. The pavilion serves as the new front door for the Southside Cultural Center of Rhode Island (SCCRI). The open performance venue and urban lawn provide ample public space for the community members of upper south side Providence. The three season space will be constantly activated by local community organizations and partners of the SCCRI. Programming for cultural arts, youth education, storytelling, dance, etc. will be entertaining local community members. The partners include; The Wilbury Theatre Group, The Cambodian Society, The Laotian Society, Rhode Island Latino Arts, Rhode Island Black Storytellers and the Providence Improv Guild.
Photo Credits: Diyi Zhangsouthlight
Spring 2017 Events
- February 23, 6:30 PM Brett Schneider, Guy Nordenson and Associates & RISD Architecture
- March 2, 6:30 PM at RISD Auditorium Petra Blaisse, Inside Outside, Hosted with INTAR, Textiles, RISD Museum
- February 27, 6:30 PM Jeanette Kuo, Karamuk*Kuo
- March 13, 6:30 PM Allan Wexler, Allan Wexler Studio, Hosted with ID
- March 16, 6:30 PM Jarrett Walker, Jarrett Walker + Associates
- April 3, 6:30 PM Kunle Adeyemi, NLÉ, Yoder Lecture
- April 24, 6:30 PM Nader & Katie Faulkner, NADAAA, Shoemaker Lecture
- May 11, 6:30 PM Shumi Bose, Central Saint Martins & Architectural Association
- RT @HansyBetter: #Architect as Initiator,#Architect as Detective, #Architect as Advocate, Join me on 10/28 at MIT @RISDARCH https://t.co/eQ5mv9cIMU,
- .@hansybetter+BR+A+CE create "Tilt-Down Fence" a public art exhibit in Fields Corner https://t.co/poFcZkjevt via @bostonherald,
- RT @risd: .@RISDARCH is working to complete SouthLight, a summer design-build project @SCCRI1 https://t.co/leEtHJwqA8 https://t.co/z1VkusjsuZ,
- RT @spfortunato: Planting in progress at Southside Cultural Center! @ProvidenceACT @LISCRhodeIsland @RISDARCH @RILatinoStories & more https://t.co/nx2euXEmAt,
- B.Arch alumnus @hamedbukhamseen on the Kuwaiti Contribution to the 2016 Venice Biennale https://t.co/J6W6oiZjVs,
Featured on RISD.EDU
- AIAS presents BEAUX ARTS 2017 – MASKED BALL read more...
- Designing a School for the Arts The idea of launching an arts high school affiliated with RISD has been in the air for decades, so when Architecture Professor Jim Barnes (BArch 69) was thinking about a theme for his advanced fall studio, he decided to resurrect it. read more...
- Exploring Sound + Space at the RISD Museum A hush falls over the audience seated in the center of the RISD Museum’s Grand Gallery as multimedia performance piece Galapagos in C gets underway. Two Architecture students silently enter as mimes, gaze at a large 18th-century family portrait by Jacques-Luc Barbier-Walbonne and then strike a pose mimicking the subjects in the painting. read more...
- Design Like a Girl “I hope that this class has encouraged students to be curious – to constantly question the built environment around them,” said Architecture grad student Rebecca McGee MArch 16 on Wednesday. As this year’s grad student faculty leader, she welcomed friends and family to a celebration of an ongoing partnership between RISD and Lincoln School, read more...
- Ideas Born on Paper Architecture Professor Christopher Bardt BArch 83 has a longstanding personal connection to the work included in Drawing Ambience: Alvin Boyarsky and the Architectural Association, an exhibition on view at the RISD Museum through August 2. Sharing his impressions while walking through the show, he stops at a delicate graphite, ink wash and colored pencil drawing by British architect Michael Webb... read more...